With so many things to do in KwaZulu-Natal and many of then achievable in a day trip from Durban, we thought it was about time we shared our favorites and started listing more! For us it’s all about family fun, adventure, excitement and relaxation. We want you to explore everything around Durban and have fun doing so. Here are the day trips that we have taken from Durban.
Day Trips to the 1000 Hills
- Visit PheZulu Safari Park and Tala Game Reserve.
- Hike through Krantzkloof Nature Reserve and then chill out at Makaranga Lodge.
- Shop the locally made goods at EmboCraft and WozaMoya.
Day Trips to the Midlands
- Take a drive to Piggly Wiggly, the Nelson Mandela Capture Site and Howick Falls.
- Experience the Karkloof Zipline, the Nelson Mandela Capture Site and Howick Falls.
- Pickup a copy of the Midlands Meander and enjoy a day drive out.
Day Trips to the Drakensberg
- Head out and view the Bushman Rock Art at Main Cave at Giants Castle.
- Take a trip up Sani Pass into Lesotho and enjoy lunch at Africa’s highest pub.
- Visit the Kamberg Rock Art Center in the Drakensberg.
Day Trips to the Battlefields
- Visit KwaDukuza, Fort Pearson and the Ultimatum Tree.
- Take a drive out to Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift.
- Visit KwaDukuza, Gingindlovu, Fort Eshowe and Fort KwMondi.
- Take a drive out to Ladysmith and Spionkop.
- Visit Talana Museum in Dundee.
Day Trips to the Elephant Coast
- Visiting St Lucia and the Eastern or Western Shores.
- Experience the thrill of the Big 5 at the Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve.
Day Trips to the South Coast
- Swim with sharks at Aliwal Shoal.
- Visit the “Smallest Desert” in the world!
Don’t see a day trip that appeals to you? Or maybe you want to add a trip that you and your family enjoy? Visit our contact page and let us know what we’re missing!
Learn About Culture
- Visit the Durban Museums.
- Visit the 1860 Heritage Center.
- Learn more about the Zulu people at PheZulu and iSithumba.
- Visit the home of Mahatma Gandhi and John Langalibalela Dube.
Get the Blood Flowing With Adventurous Day Trips
- Go swimming with sharks at Aliwal Shoal.
- Experience Whale watching off Durban’s beaches.
- Learn to surf at these hot spots.
- Go sky diving or enjoy a microlight flight over Durban.
- Enjoy a zip-line adventure at Kranzkloof and Oribi Gorge.
- Get the blood flowing with a visit to Giba Park.
Day Trips to Animal Parks & Centers
- Visit Mitchel Park Zoo in Durban
- Tala Game Reserve is only 45 min from Durban.
- PheZulu Safari Park offers game drives throughout the day.
- Discover exotic birds at Umgeni Bird Park.
- Check out the Raptor Rehab Center.
- A great day out at Monkeyland.
Hiking Day Trips Around Durban
- Explore Krantzkloof Nature Reserve in 1000 Hills
- Enjoy a walk through nature at Springside Nature Reserve in Hillcrest
- PheZulu Safari Park now offer walks
- The Harold Johnson Nature Reserve is an hour away from Durban and worth the trip